After court order, DoT blocks 78 web links critical of IIPM
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Mulayam Singh files nomination from Azamgarh; Third FIR against Giriraj Singh
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs SRH: SRH field first, Pathan comes in for Ishant
Following a court order, the Department of Telecommunications has ordered Internet service providers (ISPs) to block 78 web links containing material critical of Arindam Chaudhuri-promoted business school Indian Institute of Planning and Management (IIPM).
The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) issued the order on Thursday.
"We are only following directive by a Gwalior court that has ordered blocking of these websites," Gulshan Rai, director general of Computer Emergency Response Team-India (CERT-In) told The Indian Express.
Notably, the first uniform resource locator (URL) address in the list is of a notification issued by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
The UGC has issued advisories in the past stating that IIPM is not a university that comes within the ambit of Section 2(f) of the UGC Act 1956 and does not have the right of conferring or granting degrees.
When contacted, UGC said that its legal department was still to get any information in this regard.
Following the DoT move, attempts to open the links in the list result in the display of the message: "The page you have requested has been blocked, because the URL has been blocked as per DoT (India) guidelines."
Other URLs that have been blocked include website of various media houses. Along with the link of the story on the website of The Indian Express, the other blocked links include those from The Economic Times, The Times of India and Outlook, among others.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready