After escape bid in Borstel, DGP visits Ludhiana jail
- Lok Sabha proceedings washed out as Opposition adamant on Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhra Raje's resignation
- BJP counters Congress with ‘sting CD’ on Uttarakhand CM’s aide
- Nitish Kumar to welcome PM Modi, attend programmes too if invited
- Speaker Sumitra Mahajan's warning of 'disciplinary action' irks opposition
- Lt Governor Najeeb Jung calls DCW chief's appointment illegal
Following jail break attempt by eight prisoners from Borstel jail, DGP (Jails) R P Meena visited Ludhiana on Wednesday to meet jail superintendents from across the state. Sources said Meena pulled up the staff on security lapses and told them to be strong despite the prisoners unions inside the jail. He told them to be legally more strong so that they can beat the conspiracies of criminals.
Meena expressed strong objection over many jail employees taking three-day leave and questioned the superintendents on the issue. Long leaves are against the rules and causes shortage in jail staff.
He also asked personnel to keep a strict check on drug smuggling into prisons. It needs to be mentioned that a number of times in surprise inspections, huge stocks of intoxicants, injections and even mobiles have been seized from Punjab jails.
On November 4, eight prisoners tried to escape from Borstel Jail after blowing red chilli powder into the eyes of jail warden Balwinder Singh. Sources revealed that Singh has been receiving threats from the prisoners ever since. The DGP asked superintendents to stay strong against this union of prisoners.
Following the episode, red chilli has been banned inside prison canteen and steel spoons have been replaced with plastic spoons.