After hospital fire, CM shows PWD the door
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- On Ambedkar Day, BJP says UPA favoured Muslims over Dalits
- RSS-led core group maps Modi campaign route
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi becoming PM is a fantasy, says Mamata; Varun files nomination
An air-conditioning machine caught fire in the emergency department in state-run R G Kar Hospital on Friday. The fire broke out on the third floor, where the Pathology Department is housed. Two fire tenders was brought the fire under control in half-an-hour.
The patients at the hospital alleged the main gate of the eight-storied emergency wing of was closed and they had to force their way outside the hospital. Authorities at the hospital, however, denied reports that patients were not allowed to come out of the building. They did say that relatives of patients were not allowed inside the building as they could not ascertain the nature of the fire.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has directed that the state Health Department will maintain hospitals now. "I am upset with the incident. The Health Department has more responsibility in such cases. So, from today onwards, the hospitals will be maintained by the Health Department," she said.
The PWD is in charge of maintenance of equipment in state-run hospitals. This is the first instance where maintenance of a hospital building has been handed over to the Health Department.
"The equipment need to be maintained regularly. There was no proper maintenance of equipment. Prompt action will be taken against the authorities responsible for it," Mamata said.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS: Sonia Gandhi | The Indian Express
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh’s book embarrasses PM; ‘Singh had little political authority’
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Rahul Gandhi insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws: Narendra Modi