After Indian Express report, 6 Dhule cops arrested for rioting
- Hunt on for Malaysian Airlines: Stolen passports, missing debris fuel fears of foul play
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Rs 25,000 cr: CAG sees biggest ever J&K land scam
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
Days after The Indian Express published pictures of police breaking open and looting a stall during the Dhule riots of January 6, six local policemen have been arrested for the crime.
The six men — four State Reserve Police (SRP) personnel and two police constables — were arrested on Friday and charged with theft and dishonestly breaking open property under IPC Sections 380 and 461. If convicted, they face up to seven years in prison.
The day after the publication of the report and pictures on January 26, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had acknowledged the presence of "communal elements" in the police. The Indian Express subsequently published (January 30) pictures of policemen firing above the waist in contravention of the police manual, and posted the video on www.indianexpress.com.
The SRP personnel have been identified as Liladhar Sonawane, Ganesh Patil, Chabulal Vende and D S Sonawane; the police constables are Jawahar Pawar and Yogesh Shinde. Dhule police have also arrested two others — Vijay Shankar and Mahesh Khairnar — who are believed to be employees of local news channels. One accused seen in the clip is yet to be identified.
Six Muslim men were killed in police firing after a small quarrel at a roadside eatery escalated into rioting in the town. Police initally said the rioters had specifically targeted them.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress