After losing both legs in road mishap, budding hockey player gets support from academies
- Six Shiv Sena workers arrested for paint attack on Sudheendra Kulkarni
- Bihar elections: 57% turnout in first phase, voting peaceful
- PM Modi lashes out at Nitish Kumar over Kushwaha's video, says JP insulted on birthday
- Industrial production touches 3-year high, grows at 6.4% in August
- 10 years of RTI : While the government is willing, officials are not
The hockey academies of Jarkhar and Jalandhar have come to the rescue of budding hockey player Akash Mehra, who lost both his legs after suffering an accident near Jalandhar cantonment on Tuesday. Mata Sahib Kaur Sports Club, which runs the hockey academy at Jarkhar village, gave Rs 1 lakh to Mehra's mother on Saturday. The academy also promised to provide assistance in the education of Akash. The Surjit Hockey Society (SHS) in Jalandhar also announced Rs 1 lakh to the budding player. Akash is a student of class VIII and had been training at the hockey academy in Jarkhar.
MLA and SAD general secretary Dr Daljit Singh Cheema along with former captain of the national hockey team and MLA from Jalandhar Cantt Pargat Singh visited the hospital on Saturday to enquire about Mehra's health.