After much prevarication, police arrest Akbaruddin Owaisi for inflammatory, hate speeches
- 'Thank the Lord he is dead, this son of a gun': Thatâs a lift from the epitaph Khushwant Singh wrote for himself
- âCredible sightingsâ in ocean offer âbest leadâ yet on missing plane
- Maya sees âcommunal plotâ in Modi, Mulayam seat choices
- Nilekani, wife declare assets worth Rs 7,700 cr
- RSS gives Advani illusion of choice
Owaisi, who was subjected to medical examination at the Gandhi Hospital here for his fitness status, was straightaway taken under high security in a convoy of cars to Nirmal in Adilabad district, more than 200 kms from here.
Security was also tightened along the route to Nirmal in the Telangana region of the state.
42-year-old Owaisi, the floor leader of his party in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly, is expected to be produced before a court in Nirmal in connection with the registration of a case against him for alleged provocative speeches regarding the disputed Bhagyalakshmi shrine in the Charminar area.
Complaints have been filed against him in regard to the same speeches in various police stations in Hyderabad and other parts of the state.
On medical grounds, Owaisi had sought four days time to appear before the police which had booked him under various sections of the IPC in Nizamabad and Osmania University police here for the alleged "hate speeches".
As he failed to appear before the police, the Investigating Officer of Nirmal (Rural) Police A Raghu visited Owaisi's house in Banjara Hills here last evening and found that he looked fit to face questioning, according to police sources.
However, Owaisi complained of "internal pain". Police took him to Gandhi hospital and was subjected to medical examination by government doctors at Gandhi Hospital today. After getting the medical report, the police arrested him.
As the news of his arrest spread, hundreds of MIM party workers and his supporters gathered in front of Gandhi Hospital. Police had a tough time in controlling the protesters and preventing them from gatecrashing into the hospital.
Police have already intensified security arrangements in the city, particularly in Old City--a stronghold of MIM Party, by deploying additional forces as a precautionary measure.
Earlier in the day, a police escort team reached the MLA's house at Banjara Hills and took him to Gandhi Hospital here after the Nirmal rural police issued a notice to Akbaruddin to make himself present for the medical examination.
kbaruddin has already been issued notices to appear before Nizamabad Police today and also before the Osmania University Police on January 10 in connection with the further probe into the cases registered against him.
Owaisi has approached the Andhra Pradesh High court seeking to quash all the FIRs registered against him at different police stations in the state.
Tension prevailed outside the Hospital as scores of supporters of Owaisi assembled near the premises and raised anti-government slogans.
Additional security forces were also deployed in parts of the Old City as a precautionary measure following speculation that Owaisi would be arrested after his medical tests.
Gandhi Hospital Superintendent Dr S Mahbub said medical examination of Akbaruddin was conducted by a team of five doctors.
"A bullet is there on the lower side of his back," the medical superintendent said. A rival group had attacked Akbaruddin in April 2011 over a land dispute issue in Barkas
area here. He had sustained bullet injuries in the attack.
Meanwhile, protests and demonstrations continued by BJP workers and VHP members at Indira Park and Alwal here and in Adilabad and Nizamabad districts demanding immediate arrest of Owaisi.
* After much dilly-dallying, Hyderabad Police finally arrest Akbaruddin Owaisi for hate speeches
* Owaisi arrested for making provocative, communally inflammatory speeches
* Akbaruddin Owaisi medical report says hernia pain present
* Owaisi has bullet lodged in thigh that has affected other organs
*Three major pain areas in Owaisi's body; his right side is totally numb: report
* Cops took Owaisi out from a hospital backdoor
* Cops denied Owaisi's demand to visit home for toiletries and food
* Cops have refused to believe medical reports Owaisi presented regarding treatment in UK
* Cops have not revealed where they are taking him, but sources say they took him to Nirmal town in AP - approx 250 km from Hyderabad
* Brings to end Owaisi's 'sham' health scare to prevent arrest
* Huge crowd gets restive outside Hyderabad's Gandhi hospital