After much prevarication, police arrest Akbaruddin Owaisi for inflammatory, hate speeches
- Third phase of LS polls ends: High turnout in 91 seats; Chandigarh tops with 74 per cent
- BJP sacks Jaswant Singh's son Manvendra; Ansari not to contest against Modi
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- First time, Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, calls her change ânakliâ
- Mulayam questions death penalty for rape, says 'boys make mistakes'
Police have already intensified security arrangements in the city, particularly in Old City--a stronghold of MIM Party, by deploying additional forces as a precautionary measure.
Earlier in the day, a police escort team reached the MLA's house at Banjara Hills and took him to Gandhi Hospital here after the Nirmal rural police issued a notice to Akbaruddin to make himself present for the medical examination.
kbaruddin has already been issued notices to appear before Nizamabad Police today and also before the Osmania University Police on January 10 in connection with the further probe into the cases registered against him.
Owaisi has approached the Andhra Pradesh High court seeking to quash all the FIRs registered against him at different police stations in the state.
Tension prevailed outside the Hospital as scores of supporters of Owaisi assembled near the premises and raised anti-government slogans.
Additional security forces were also deployed in parts of the Old City as a precautionary measure following speculation that Owaisi would be arrested after his medical tests.
Gandhi Hospital Superintendent Dr S Mahbub said medical examination of Akbaruddin was conducted by a team of five doctors.
"A bullet is there on the lower side of his back," the medical superintendent said. A rival group had attacked Akbaruddin in April 2011 over a land dispute issue in Barkas
area here. He had sustained bullet injuries in the attack.
Meanwhile, protests and demonstrations continued by BJP workers and VHP members at Indira Park and Alwal here and in Adilabad and Nizamabad districts demanding immediate arrest of Owaisi.
* After much dilly-dallying, Hyderabad Police finally arrest Akbaruddin Owaisi for hate speeches
* Owaisi arrested for making provocative, communally inflammatory speeches
* Akbaruddin Owaisi medical report says hernia pain present
* Owaisi has bullet lodged in thigh that has affected other organs
- Srinath wins title but Deshpande steals show
- Ambala Lok Sabha constituency: 65.15 pc vote in Panchkula district
- ‘No smoking’ signages to dot polling booths
- City breaks electoral record as 74 pc turn out to vote
- BJP campaign in Varanasi starts April 12 — without Modi
- Cong spending Rs 50 cr on each constituency: Kumaraswamy