After overdose of drugs, GCG-11 student dies
A 21-year-old student of Government College for Girls (GCG), Sector 11, on Tuesday died while undergoing treatment after she had taken an overdose of drugs given to her by two of her friends.
Identified as Radhika Vashist, the girl was admitted to Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in an unconscious state on Monday night.
In-charge of the PGIMER police post, Sub-Inspector Sarita Roy said, "The girl was admitted last night due to drug overdose. One of her friends, Sweety Sharma, informed the police who then took her to the hospital where she was admitted to the emergency and was diagnosed with drug overdose."
Radhika was taken to the Government Multi-Specialty Hospital (GMSH), Sector 16, late at night by the cops of the police post, Sector 22. The girl was referred to PGIMER after being administered first aid at GMSH-16. At PGIMER, the girl underwent some treatment. However, her condition deteriorated and she died at 3 am on Tuesday.
During the day, the parents of the deceased were contacted by the police after they acquired the tenant verification papers from Radhika's landlords. The police were informed about the girl by her friend Sweety Sharma, a resident of Sector 21. Sweety then registered a complaint that two boys — Gagandeep, a resident of Sector 24, and Sourav, a resident of Amritsar — had given some drugs to Radhika on Monday night.
DSP (Central) Ashish Kapoor said the two accused had been arrested and were booked under charges of culpable homicide not amounting to murder and administering stupefying drug with an intent to cause hurt.
The body of the deceased was handed over to the parents after a post-mortem was conducted at PGIMER.
Radhika, a native of Ambala Cantt, lived as a paying guest in Sector 15. She was a BA second year student at GCG-11.