After PM advice, stem cell therapy abroad for Dasmunsi
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
After his love, football; his passion, music; ayurveda, homoeopathy, and the yogic prescriptions of Swami Ramdev failed to awaken Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi, his family has now put its faith in stem cell treatment.
The 62-year-old former Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting, who has been unable to speak or recognise anyone for over a year now, was flown to Germany in the early hours Saturday. The advice to try stem cell treatment came from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Dasmunsi's wife Deepa told The Indian Express.
Dasmunsi was taken by a commercial airliner to Frankfurt by Deepa, now Congress MP from Raiganj, Dasmunsi's brother Asim Ranjan Dasmunsi, and some close aides. From Frankfurt, he was driven to the XCell-Center, an institute for stem cell transplantation, at Dussseldorf, some 200 km away. A team of doctors led by Dr Ben Pfiffer will start treatment on Dasmunsi from Monday.
Dasmunshi was paralysed after suffering a massive stroke in October last year. He was admitted to AIIMS and later to Apollo Hospital. He remained on life support, and was diagnosed with a complete failure of the left ventricular system, which resulted in a swelling of the lungs. The result was a reduction of oxygen supply to parts of the body, known as hypoxia, the main complication in such cases.
Dasmunshi did show some signs of improvement after a few months, moving his limbs and pupils, but did not progress further. Doctors said he was suffering from "post arrest anoxic encephalopathy", a condition in which the brain suffers damage after cardiac arrest.
To awaken him, Deepa tried everything from playing his favourite CDs, turning on news channels he used to watch, and playing the football videos he loved. She consulted the best doctors across the world, and even got Ramdev to visit the hospital. But Dasmunshi did not respond.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS: Sonia Gandhi | The Indian Express
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh’s book embarrasses PM; ‘Singh had little political authority’
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Rahul Gandhi insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws: Narendra Modi