After Rae Bareli, Priyanka focuses on rejig of Cong units in Amethi
- Elections 2014 Live: TMC workers beat up poll officials in Bengal; Rahul attacks Modi over Adani link
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- Jet flight out of contact for 30 mins, causes panic, 2 pilots grounded
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
After completing reorganisational work in the parliamentary constituency of her mother and Congress president Sonia Gandhi in Rae Bareli, Priyanka Gandhi has now taken over the task of re-organising Congress units in Amethi, the constituency of her brother and Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi.
With the distribution of application forms for interviews, the selection process for the post of 17 block presidents of the party in Amethi has begun, in a pattern similar to the one used in Rae Bareli.
Those involved in the process said 575 applications have been received. The interview process, the first round of which would be conducted by five teams, would begin from July 21 at block headquarters.
The team of interviewers comprises party candidates who contested the last assembly election, AICC and PCC members and senior party leaders from the area. These teams have been asked to complete the interview process in two days and submit their reports as soon as possible. According to the sources, the party is dissuading 'sitting office-bearers' from filing applications.
"The teams will form a panel of five candidates from each block who would later be interviewed by Priyanka Gandhi. Out of 575 applications received so far, only one is a sitting office-bearer. All those who occupy any post have been told they would be promoted based on the work they have done. For them, there is no point in applying for another term," a party leader said.
The applicants have been asked to provide details like results of the last assembly and Lok Sabha elections from their respective booths, number of villages in their area, whether they held any posts in the cadre in the past, and their basic personal details among other things.
The members conducting the interview would give their "comments" on each application, based on which a panel of names would be decided for the final interview by Priyanka. Each block committee would comprise 20 members, apart from the president, who, too, would be selected from these applications.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi