After ripple, Yerawada back to routine
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
When the execution of 25-year Ajmal Kasab was being carried out in Yerawada Central Prison, all other routine outside the gates and inside went on as usual. Outside the gates people queued up to meet their relatives in jail. The officials had made sure normal routine is not disturbed to avoid any suspicion that would give away the operation that was conducted in utmost secrecy. With this in mind, no schedule was disrupted including the ongoing drive to recruit guards. On Thursday, the recruitment drive went on.
After the hanging was announced on TV, there was a rush of people including mediapersons at the main gate of the prison. On Thursday, the scene outside the gate reverted to that of any other day, barring additional security.
On Wednesday when news of Kasab having been hanged broke a few minutes after 7.30 am, mediapersons who started gathering outside the main gate noticed the usual scene of visitors queuing up to meet inmates as any other day.
"There was no point in changing the jail routine. The execution had taken place inside and was done with secrecy. Altering the routine would have created suspicion. Visitors were allowed in as per procedure. At present our recruitment for positions of jail guards is on. That too went on as usual," said a senior jail staffer. "We had stepped up security after the execution as a precautionary measure."
An officer with Yerawada police station said, "There was a problem of traffic moving slow on the street in front of the jail, as passersby were slowing down in front of the jail on spotting OB vans of TV channels, reporters and photographers." On Thursday morning the open space in front of the jail gate was filled with the usual number of visitors. "We saw on TV that Kasab was hanged here. We were to come here to meet my husband. We thought they would not allow us here today. But everything was done as usual," said a woman who had come with her family from Saswad. The procedure to recruit guards continued at the jail ground on Thursday.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today