After ripple, Yerawada back to routine
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
When the execution of 25-year Ajmal Kasab was being carried out in Yerawada Central Prison, all other routine outside the gates and inside went on as usual. Outside the gates people queued up to meet their relatives in jail. The officials had made sure normal routine is not disturbed to avoid any suspicion that would give away the operation that was conducted in utmost secrecy. With this in mind, no schedule was disrupted including the ongoing drive to recruit guards. On Thursday, the recruitment drive went on.
After the hanging was announced on TV, there was a rush of people including mediapersons at the main gate of the prison. On Thursday, the scene outside the gate reverted to that of any other day, barring additional security.
On Wednesday when news of Kasab having been hanged broke a few minutes after 7.30 am, mediapersons who started gathering outside the main gate noticed the usual scene of visitors queuing up to meet inmates as any other day.
"There was no point in changing the jail routine. The execution had taken place inside and was done with secrecy. Altering the routine would have created suspicion. Visitors were allowed in as per procedure. At present our recruitment for positions of jail guards is on. That too went on as usual," said a senior jail staffer. "We had stepped up security after the execution as a precautionary measure."
An officer with Yerawada police station said, "There was a problem of traffic moving slow on the street in front of the jail, as passersby were slowing down in front of the jail on spotting OB vans of TV channels, reporters and photographers." On Thursday morning the open space in front of the jail gate was filled with the usual number of visitors. "We saw on TV that Kasab was hanged here. We were to come here to meet my husband. We thought they would not allow us here today. But everything was done as usual," said a woman who had come with her family from Saswad. The procedure to recruit guards continued at the jail ground on Thursday.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress