After shooting down gold, Sanjeev Rajput aims to erase flaws
- Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Doctors in UP call off strike after Allahabad HC's intervention
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
SODHI'S MAIDEN WIN
In the double trap, Ronjan Sodhi ended his 12-year run of near misses to win his maiden National gold medal by beating Ajay Mittal in the top-two play-off. The bronze was won by Mohammad Asab, who saw off Ankur Mittal 30-27 in the third-place shoot-off. Ronjan had been trying to win the elusive title since 2001, when he first took to the discipline.
Earlier, Sodhi had topped the final field of six with 28 out of 30 hits to stay in contention. Asab, who had topped the qualification with 133 floundered in the last few targets to slip into a three-way tie-shoot against Ajay and Ankur Mittal to make it to the gold medal matchm, after all three finished with 27 hits. In the tie-shoot, Asab was the first to drop into bronze medal and Ankur followed suit losing 2-1.
Though thrilled at breaking the jinx, Sodhi had sympathies for Asab, who slipped to third after leading the charts in qualifying. "Happy to break the jinx finally. I have been training really well for the finals and I shot well," the 34-year-old said. "Even though I benefited today, I am not convinced of starting the finals from scratch. Asab had a five-target lead over me and for him to win bronze is not fair."
Rathore pulls out of double trap final
Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, who was the defending champion in double trap, did not shoot in the final on Monday, despite being placed fourth with a total of 129 hits.
Rathore had completed all his five rounds of qualification on Sunday itself and then had given a written undertaking to the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) that he should not be considered for the national core squad of double-trap team. And hence did not come for the final round at the Karni Singh range on Monday.
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students