Afzal Ansari gets BSP ticket from Ghazipur
- LIVE: ISI supports LeT, JeM and Hizbul, David Headley tells court
- J&K govt formation: Ram Madhav to hold talks with Mehbooba Mufti to break impasse
- Soldier, who survived Siachen avalanche, being flown to Delhi hospital
- DDCA row: Delhi HC dismisses Kirti Azad's plea seeking court-monitored probe
- Net bad assets of govt banks a third of their net worth
The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) on Sunday took rebel Samajwadi Party MP from Ghazipur, Afzal Ansari, into its fold and formally announced his candidature from the seat for the next Lok Sabha polls.
Afzal, who was in jail in connection with the murder of BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai and was released on bail recently, is the third rebel Samajwadi MP to get a BSP ticket for these polls.
The BSP has already selected Shahid Siddiqui for Bijnore while S P Singh Baghel has been given the ticket for the Ferozabad seat.
Afzal's brother Mukhtar Ansari, who is still in jail in connection with the Krishnanand Rai murder case, represents the Mau Assembly seat as an Independent MLA while another brother, Sibgatullah Ansari, is an SP MLA from Muhammadabad constituency of Ghazipur district.
Mukhtar is likely to be the BSP's candidate against senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi from Varanasi seat.
- Government must resolve growing burden of non-performing assets
- Outrage over police assault on students is meaningless
- Right to a toilet: For the health, dignity and safety of women in slums
- Raja-Mandala: Maritime India versus Continental Delhi
- The Akhilesh-Mulayam duet
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress