Afzal Ansari gets BSP ticket from Ghazipur
- Putin calls Turkey's downing of Russian jet 'stab in the back'
- Today, world looks towards India with great faith: PM in Singapore
- Aamir Khan at RNG awards: Here is the complete conversation
- Bomb attack on Tunisia presidential guard bus kills 11
- BJP MLA suspended from Delhi Assembly for abusing AAP legislator Alka Lamba
The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) on Sunday took rebel Samajwadi Party MP from Ghazipur, Afzal Ansari, into its fold and formally announced his candidature from the seat for the next Lok Sabha polls.
Afzal, who was in jail in connection with the murder of BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai and was released on bail recently, is the third rebel Samajwadi MP to get a BSP ticket for these polls.
The BSP has already selected Shahid Siddiqui for Bijnore while S P Singh Baghel has been given the ticket for the Ferozabad seat.
Afzal's brother Mukhtar Ansari, who is still in jail in connection with the Krishnanand Rai murder case, represents the Mau Assembly seat as an Independent MLA while another brother, Sibgatullah Ansari, is an SP MLA from Muhammadabad constituency of Ghazipur district.
Mukhtar is likely to be the BSP's candidate against senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi from Varanasi seat.
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it
- For many Bangladeshis, they hint at closure for 1971
- The big question: Proper returns to farmers
- Delhi HC versus DDCA
- Frequent promulgation of ordinances has more to do with managerial ethos
- Indian peacekeeping abroad: Samantha Power shows some deft diplomacy