Afzal Ansari gets BSP ticket from Ghazipur
- Nitish trying to cheat Bihar, says Modi; CM replies PM disturbed with falling Sensex, GDP
- Manipur violence: Toll up to eight, three killed in police firing
- India script history, register first series win in Sri Lanka after 22 years
- Sheena, Mikhail my children, ready to undergo DNA test: Siddharth Das
- Market loses its nerve on weak GDP, Sensex tumbles 587 points
The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) on Sunday took rebel Samajwadi Party MP from Ghazipur, Afzal Ansari, into its fold and formally announced his candidature from the seat for the next Lok Sabha polls.
Afzal, who was in jail in connection with the murder of BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai and was released on bail recently, is the third rebel Samajwadi MP to get a BSP ticket for these polls.
The BSP has already selected Shahid Siddiqui for Bijnore while S P Singh Baghel has been given the ticket for the Ferozabad seat.
Afzal's brother Mukhtar Ansari, who is still in jail in connection with the Krishnanand Rai murder case, represents the Mau Assembly seat as an Independent MLA while another brother, Sibgatullah Ansari, is an SP MLA from Muhammadabad constituency of Ghazipur district.
Mukhtar is likely to be the BSP's candidate against senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi from Varanasi seat.