Afzal Guru hanged: 5 injured, curfew imposed in Kashmir
- Target Uttar Pradesh: Narendra Modi goes to Varanasi, Rajnath Singh heads to Lucknow
- TRS rules out alliance with Congress in Lok Sabha, Assembly polls
- AAP releases sixth list; Tribal activist Soni Sori and Shazia Ilmi get tickets
- The trophy state: Behind Mizoram's clean sweep lies an extraordinary league
- Court imposes fine of Rs 2,500 each on Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia
A strict curfew has also been imposed in Srinagar and other major towns of Kashmir valley. In Srinagar, police has erected barricades and laid spools of concertina wire in the old city to block all the roads. Police and paramilitary forces have been deployed in heavy numbers and people are not allowed to move out of their houses.
Curfew has been also imposed in south Kashmir's, Pulwama, Shopian, Anantnag and Bijbehara towns. In Pulwama, police fired warning shots in air when they saw some people moving towards the main road.
Muslims in Doda and Kishtwar towns kept their shutters down in protest against the hanging of Parliament attack accused Afzal Guru at Delhi's Tihar jail this morning.
There has been no response to Guru's hanging in rest of the Jammu division. Kishtwar's officiating Deputy Commissioner R K Shewan and Doda's Senior Superintendent of Police Arif Rishu told The Indian Express that they were closely monitoring situation in their respective districts. It was peaceful and under control.
Meanwhile, in other Muslim dominated areas of Jammu region especially Poonch, Rajouri and Ramban districts, there was no reaction to the hanging of Afzal Guru as both Hindus and Muslims were reopening their business establishments and traffic plying on the roads as usual.
Senior civil and police officers were monitoring the situation, but there was no prohibitory orders under section 144 CrPC, or curfew imposed in any part of Jammu region. As Afzal Guru was charged with attacking parliament which is taken in high esteem even by Muslims as an institution of democracy, there is not likely to be much reaction to his hanging from among members of his community except for certain areas where separatists have influence, said a Muslim leader who wished not to be named.
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- I skiI skipped rally because I was misled: Anna Hazare
- Trouble for Khobragade as govt finds daughters have US, Indian passports