Afzal Guru hanging: Family receives execution letter today as Sunday 'public holiday'
- Target Uttar Pradesh: Modi goes to Varanasi, Rajnath to Lucknow
- SC stays death penalty of two Delhi gang-rape convicts till March 31
- AICC spokesman lashes out against PM's silence and negative publicity
- Court imposes fine of Rs 2,500 each on Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia
- Rahul Gandhi dubs poll surveys as 'jokes'
Fifty-one hours after Afzal Guru was hanged in Delhi's Tihar Jail, his wife finally received the official intimation today that he was being executed.
The letter, sent by the office of the Superintendent, Central Jail No 3, said Guru's mercy plea has been rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee and that his hanging was fixed for 8 am on February 9.
The letter dated February 6, 2013, was received by Guru's wife Tabassum at 11 am today. It said, "The petition of the convict Shri Mohd Afzal Guru s/o Habibullah has been rejected by the Honorary President of India."
"Hence the execution of Mohd Afzal Guru s/o Habibullah has been fixed for 09-02-2013 at 8 am in Central Jail No 3. For your information and for further necessary action," the letter sent by speedpost said.
Booked from GPO New Delhi, the letter was received in Srinagar GPO on February 9, the day Guru was hanged, Chief Post Master General of Jammu and Kashmir Circle John Samuel said.
"Since Sunday is a public holiday, the letter was delivered this morning at 11 am," Samuel said.
The letter shows the signature of G H Mohidin Ranie who received the letter with 11 am written on it at Guru's house in Seer Jagir in Baramullah's Sopore district.
In New Delhi, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde claimed the letter was sent by speedpost on February seven night and that he has a copy of the receipt.
"I have information that the family has been communicated. The letter was sent through speedpost on February seven night and the action(hanging) was taken on February 9," he said.
If the family wants to visit Guru's grave, it can be considered, Shinde said, adding that he had personally told Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on February 8 night, hours before Guru's execution.
- Sale of sarees in ‘NaMo boxes’ banned in Pilibhit
- Curfew in Valley after youth’s death in police firing, probe ordered
- Kejriwal attacks Modi, his ‘growth’ model
- Mulayam blames central schemes for graft at village level
- UK to bring alive role of Indian soldiers
- Shalimar Mall owner held for duping resident
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- Trouble in alliance with Congress, TRS turns to BJP
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy