Afzal Guru hanging: Should've told kin in advance, PM to Shinde
- Kashmir floods LIVE: Many feared dead as houses collapse in Budgam district
- ‘Mukhyamantri ka saala’ is a story of growth in Chhattisgarh
- AAP removes Ramdas as Lokpal, Bhushan from disciplinary panel
- Ahmed Patel, seen and heard like never before
- Retd Lt Gen says will write to Chief about Army role in Hashimpura
"The government responded to the vociferous demands raised by the BJP and Narendra Modi that Afzal Guru should be hanged. The feeling that a Kashmiri is expendable while those from other parts of India are not will only be reinforced," an article in CPM mouthpiece People's Democracy argued.
CPI's mouthpiece New Age too reflected a change in its stand that "Afzal had got what he deserved". "The government decided to hang Afzal in haste and in a secretive manner to score brownie points over BJP... and in the process violated rule of law and basic human rights on more than one score."