Afzal Guru's hanging a 'barbaric violation' of rights: NHRC member
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Malaysia military believes it has tracked missing jet over Strait of Malacca
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
A member of the National Human Rights Commission today termed the hanging of Parliament attack case convict as 'barbaric violation' of human rights of not only him but the entire family.
NHRC Member Satyabrata Pal also said the family of Guru should have been allowed to visit him before he was hanged in Tihar Jail on February 9.
He said his views should not be taken as the opinion of the NHRC as he was voicing his personal opinion.
"Death penalty is an abomination in a democracy and Afzal Guru's hanging is a barbaric violation of human rights. It is not only violation of his rights but that of his entire family," he said.
He also said Guru's family had the right to grieve and also to conduct his last rites.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express