Afzal Guru's hanging a 'barbaric violation' of rights: NHRC member
- Army used 'chilly grenades' to catch Pakistani militant Sajjad Ahmed
- IPL Governing Council proposes two new teams to replace CSK, RR
- Central govt announces 98 Smart Cities, Naidu terms them 'safe investments for pvt firms'
- Sheena Bora murder: Police meet Mikhail Bora; five-day transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna
- ISRO launches rocket carrying GSAT-6 from Sriharikota
A member of the National Human Rights Commission today termed the hanging of Parliament attack case convict as 'barbaric violation' of human rights of not only him but the entire family.
NHRC Member Satyabrata Pal also said the family of Guru should have been allowed to visit him before he was hanged in Tihar Jail on February 9.
He said his views should not be taken as the opinion of the NHRC as he was voicing his personal opinion.
"Death penalty is an abomination in a democracy and Afzal Guru's hanging is a barbaric violation of human rights. It is not only violation of his rights but that of his entire family," he said.