Afzal Guru's hanging a 'barbaric violation' of rights: NHRC member
- ASEAN Summit: PM Modi meets Chinese counterpart; discusses bilateral ties
- Congress 'anti-national', party should be 'derecognised': Sukhbir Badal
- Tejaswi Yadav takes on critics, says don't judge a book by its cover
- Sheena Bora murder case: Charges against Peter Mukerjea outrageous, says son Rahul Mukerjea
- AAP sends invite to dissident Shanti Bhushan for NC meet
A member of the National Human Rights Commission today termed the hanging of Parliament attack case convict as 'barbaric violation' of human rights of not only him but the entire family.
NHRC Member Satyabrata Pal also said the family of Guru should have been allowed to visit him before he was hanged in Tihar Jail on February 9.
He said his views should not be taken as the opinion of the NHRC as he was voicing his personal opinion.
"Death penalty is an abomination in a democracy and Afzal Guru's hanging is a barbaric violation of human rights. It is not only violation of his rights but that of his entire family," he said.