Against odds, itís even on Day 1
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Did not get personal with Narendra Modi, says Rahul Gandhi
But Gambhir was on strike. He faced all of that over, the last before lunch, and remained on strike over the course of Anderson's next three. In all, that spell consisted of 23 dot balls and one square-driven four. Finn replaced him at that end.
Anderson returned after the drinks interval, halfway through the second session, nearly halfway through the day. India were 120 for three in 44 overs, and Gambhir had departed, top-edging an attempted square cut off Panesar to first slip. The ball was now 10 overs older.
Bowling to Tendulkar for the first time, Anderson bent one into his blockhole ó dug out just in time ó beat his outside edge in his second over and then sent down a bouncer that grazed his chest as he leaned backwards to evade it. The next ball straightened, kissed Tendulkar's outside edge and screamed away low, past second slip for four.
In his next over, Anderson bowled pretty much the same delivery to Virat Kohli, and the ball ricocheted off the edge in the same direction. But this time, it stayed in the air long enough for Graeme Swann to grab it near his ankles. India were 136 for four.
With the ball reversing so much, Alastair Cook could have brought Finn on from the other end and bowled his seamers in tandem. Anderson strengthened the case for this move, striking Yuvraj Singh's pad with one that bent back into the left-hander. But he instead brought on Swann.
The first ball the off spinner sent down at Yuvraj, like the one that bowled him in Mumbai, went on straight. It rapped his front pad, but Swann's elongated appeal failed to move the umpire, who probably reckoned it hit him marginally outside off. Yuvraj thumped the next two balls for four.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit