Agent says Frank Lampard won't get new deal from Chelsea
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- After rare skull surgery at AIIMS, twins from Kerala look like each other
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Rahul Gandhi to file nomination papers from Amethi today
Frank Lampard's departure from Chelsea at the end of the season now appears certain.
Lampard's agent Steve Kutner has told British media that Chelsea has no intention of offering the veteran midfielder a new contract when his current deal expires at the end of the season.
"Chelsea executives told Frank in Japan during the Club World Cup, then again reconfirmed with me after the Everton victory (on Dec. 30) that in no circumstances will he be offered a new contract to stay at the club after the end of this season,'' Kutner was quoted Sunday as saying by the Daily Mirror newspaper. "Nothing since has changed in any respect.''
On Friday, Chelsea captain John Terry said he was "devastated'' by Lampard's looming exit and called for his teammate's No. 8 shirt number to be retired. Now the 34-year-old England international must prepare to find a new club.
"Frank has had to accept that and just wants to carry on playing football for Chelsea so as to finish the season as successfully as possible for the club that he loves,'' Kutner said in quotes printed by the Daily Mirror and Daily Telegraph.
Lampard became Chelsea's joint second all-time leading scorer on Saturday by scoring his seventh goal of the season in Saturday's 5-1 thrashing of Southampton in the FA Cup.
He moved to 193 goals, equaling Kerry Dixon's haul, with only Bobby Tambling's record of 202 the target to beat before his 12-year stay at Chelsea ends.
"This club has been amazing to me and the club is the fans, so I can only thank them,'' Lampard said after scoring a penalty on Saturday. "I am enjoying my football.''
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit