AgustaWestland chopper deal: CBI to ask for middleman 'budget sheet' naming FAM, AP
- 12 players, three new teams, IPL officials and owners named in secret report to SC
- Whoâs probing IM? NIA, Delhi Police stories different: HC
- Modi Pak, US dono ko thhokega: BJP S Delhi candidate
- In Cong bastion Nandurbar, you can sense straws in shifting wind
- Doubts surface over murdered Qateelâs âconfessionâ to police
Days after the Defence Ministry cancelled the Rs 3,546 crore AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal, the CBI said they will approach the government to obtain the documents recovered from Swiss businessman Guido Haschke detailing the budget which purportedly lists initials of Indian politicians and designations of bureaucrats and IAF officers. The CBI had registered a bribery case last year naming former IAF chief SP Tyagi and his cousins.
CBI director Ranjit Sinha said, "We will definitely get the documents to investigate the links further." The agency in its letter rogatories (LRs) has also asked the Italian authorities to provide access to Haschke for questioning. The damaging document prepared by Haschke will help the agency to take the probe further beyond Tyagi and alleged middlemen. Sources also said a CBI team, which met Italian prosecutors recently, has asked them to identify the Indian bureaucrats and politicians.
As first reported by The Indian Express, the note under the heading "POL" — Haschke has explained in court this referred to Indian politicians — there is a reference to "AP" against which "3 million euro" has been listed. The other is "FAM" — explained by Italian investigators in other documents as "Family" — against which "15/16 million euro" has been listed. It is not clear if Haschke has explained in court what "AP" and "FAM" refer to. It is also alleged that bribes worth 51 million euros were allegedly paid by the company to bag the contract.
The probe into the VVIP chopper scam has been on the back-burner as the agency claimed that replies of LRs are still awaited. "We are also awaiting for the trail in Italian court to get over as it will help us to unearth the scam beyond Tyagis'," said a CBI official.
The document cited during the trial in Italy court also also lists five key posts in the Defence Ministry — "DS", "JS AIR", "AFA", "DG Acquisition" and "another Gen" — and the "CVC" under the head "BUR", explained in court by Haschke as bureaucrats. A total of "8.5 million euro" has been "budgeted" for "BUR".
- RBI banks on Bandhan, trusts Kolkata NBFC with rare licence
- Gujarat to SC: Woman knew of snooping, was thankful
- Doubts surface over murdered Qateel’s ‘confession’ to police
- Will probe scams during BJD rule: BJP
- If Modi slashes gas prices, I will join BJP: Kejriwal
- Chouhan’s wife keeps off Vidisha byelection