AgustaWestland: Deal nearly died as bribe demanded was huge; Haschke 'used' to get Tyagi family goodwill
- Janata Parivar Wedding: PM Narendra Modi 'showstopper' at Saifai
- Sena defends Modi suit auction, says see what amount Rahul's wardrobe would fetch
- The net widens: Top executives from five firms, two consultants arrested
- After Manjhi anti-climax, Nitish begins second act: ‘With folded hands, sorry’
- Congress yet to apologise for coal loss, says PM Narendra Modi
THE COVER UP
Italian investigators conclude that Finmeccanica officials tried to put on an elaborate cover to hide the true relation of their dealings with Haschke and Michel. In several interrogations, senior executives said the agreements were legitimate.
''SPAGNOLINI, on the occasion of an internal audit on 09.05.2012 confirmed the relation with HASCHKE which started in 2005, although stating that he (Haschke) had nothing to do with the supply of the 12 helicopters to the Indian ministry of defence and affirming that the task which was given to him or to a company linked to him consisted in scouting activities in India regarding civilian helicopters and a following high-volume labour engineering activity assigned to IDS Infotech Ltd, a company introduced by Haschke himself.''
This is the entire crux of the investigation by Italian prosecutors as it now stands:
In the document, the prosecutors reach the conclusions that, allegedly:
* AgustaWestland top managers knew from the very beginning about the limits fixed by Indian authorities regarding the use of external consultants by firms interested in participating in the tender. However, with the intention to overcome this obstacle, and being anyway forced to give an explanation for the amounts paid to the companies linked to HASCHKE and GEROSA, they put a different content with regard to the task given to the company (they decided that yes, these contracts happened but they were about scouting activities and about civilian helicopters). Hence, both ORSI and SPAGNOLINI knew about the necessity of using the services offered by HASCHKE Guido and his abilities in creating conditions to facilitate AgustaWestland spa in the tender. They, in other words as it is evident, estimated Haschke's activity as essential. Haschke, as he said in the interrogation, had informed them about the possibility to obtain the paid goodwill of TYAGI Sashi.