AgustaWestland helicopter deal: CBI seeks details of MoD inquiry
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Dhowan takes over as Navy Chief, superseded Sinha resigns
- Election Commission lifts ban on BJP leader Amit Shah after he promises to behave
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Wednesday wrote to the Ministry of Defence, seeking details of an internal inquiry the ministry conducted last year in connection with the helicopter deal scandal. The agency also asked the ministry to appoint a nodal officer from the IAF to help it in the preliminary probe.
A 10-member CBI team formed to investigate the case is also likely to register a case into the multi-crore scam soon, said officials.
Sources said top CBI officials will also meet the Director General of Defence (acquisition) Dr S B Agnihotri on Thursday to understand the process involved in procurement of 12 VVIP helicopters from AugustaWestland.
On Tuesday, the defence ministry referred the case to CBI after Italian authorities arrested Finmeccanica CEO Giuseppe Orsi.
In its brief 'terms of reference' to the CBI, the ministry provided reports of The Indian Express on the chopper deal starting from February last year.
"We have sought more details from the MoD and our officers also in touch with the Indian mission in Italy. The officers will also seek the help from the Interpol to get details of the case and documents which have been examined by the Italian authorities," said a top CBI official.
On Wednesday, the CBI also asked the defence ministry to provide the files relating to the procurement of the VVIP helicopter since its inception.
A presentation on VVIP chopper deal by the ministry is also likely to be finalised by Friday. "The detailed presentation to be given by IAF will help the probe officers to understand the nitty-gritty of the entire scam," said a CBI official.
The agency is trying to get the report filed by Public Prosecutor Eugenio Fusco on the basis of which Orsi was arrested as it may help it in zeroing in on the Indians who could have been beneficiaries of the bribes. The Enforcement Directorate has also started a fresh probe and will take action against the firm under stringent money laundering sections.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer