Ahmedabad blast accused dig 18-feet-long tunnel in Sabarmati Jail
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
A major jail break plan was unearthed in the Sabarmati Central Jail when a 18-feet long tunnel dug by Ahmedabad serial blasts case undertrials was found here, jail officials said today.
"We have found a tunnel dug in the barrack where 14 of the serial bomb blasts accused are lodged. Late last night, when jail authorities suspected something amiss in the behavior of two inmates at barrack number four, called 'Chhota Chakkar', they searched it and found the tunnel dug from inside the barrack, police said.
"On July 26, 2008, 20 near simultaneous bomb blasts across the city had killed 57 people. All the blast accused are lodged in Sabarmati Central Jail as trial has been ordered to be conducted in the premises because of security reasons. Out of 68 accused of the serial bomb blasts case, 14 were lodged in this barrack
The Minister of State for Home Rajnikant Patel has ordered an enquiry into the incident. We have registered an FIR and investigation is on, said Superintendent of Jail V M Parghi. Pargi said they have not found any tools but it seems the accused were using dinner plates and wood to dig the tunnel. "They had volunteered for the gardening work around the barrack and under that cover they were dumping the sand extracted from the tunnel into the garden outside," said Jail authority.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2