Ahmedabad lawyer puts top civic officials in dock over ‘graft’
- Porn ban: Govt lifts ban on websites sans child pornography
- Mumbai attacks: Five explosive revelations made by Tariq Khosa
- Parliamentary panel on land bill postpones meet following suspension of Congress MP
- Combative Opposition stalls Parliament proceedings
- Missing Pawan Hans chopper sighted, rescue operation to resume tomorrow
Naranpura police have registered an FIR against the deputy municipal commissioner and an estate officer of the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation late on Monday for allegedly extorting money from a city lawyer.
Police questioned the estate officer and deputy municipal commissioner on Tuesday.
The lawyer and complainant, Amish Jasu Gandhi, has alleged that deputy municipal commissioner Utpal Padia and estate official H R Shah demanded a bribe of Rs 50,000 from him for giving a land-related approval.
Gandhi, who is also into construction business, also alleged that Shah abused and attempted to assault him when he went to the AMC office to resolve the matter recently.
Inspector ND Solanki said, "There is no evidence that Shah mistreated Gandhi. If we find any, we will arrest them." Shah accused Gandhi of filing a false complaint. The police have registered a case under sections 506/1 and 294(A) of the Indian Penal Code for criminal intimidation and related offences.