AIADMK student leader, 9-year-old son hacked to death
- Pravin Togadia under fire over hate-speech, RSS says comments fabricated
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- Elections 2014 LIVE: BJP blocked Telangana Bill in Parliament, says Rahul Gandhi
Ruling AIADMK's district student wing secretary and two others, including his son, were hacked to death by a heavily armed gang near here, police said today.
45-year-old M G Kathiresan along with his two children was returning here from his native village late last night when the gang waylaid his car and attacked them with sharp edged weapons at Nedungulam in the district.
Kathiresan, his 9-year son and the driver were killed in the attack while his seriously injured daughter (7) had been admitted to the Government Rajaji Hospital in Madurai, police said.
Kathiresan had enmity with some local people during the local body elections last year, police said adding the motive behind the murder was under investigation.
District Superintendent of Police Pannerselvam, who visited the murder spot around midnight yesterday, said all checkposts in the region had been alerted and a speacial team formed to nab the assailants.
In Chennai, Chief Minister and AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa condoled the death of three and said stern action as per law would be taken against the perpetrators of the crime.
Stating that Kathiresan was murdered because of previous enmity, she announced Rs two lakh relief to his family and Rs one lakh to the kin of the driver from the party funds.
In a statement, she also said the AIADMK would bear the medical expenses of Kathiresan's daughter.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota