Aid for drought-hit students
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
Education dept compiles data of graduation and PG students from affected areas to be given financial help.
The State Directorate of Education (Higher Education) and the Maharashtra Council of Agricultural Education and Research (MCAER) have undertaken separate drives to compile data of students studying in areas affected by the drought prevailing in different parts of the state.
Among these students, those who do not receive any kind of government scholarship will be considered for financial help by the state with help from a charitable trust.
Both graduation and post-graduation students from agricultural universities, and only PG students from non-agricultural universities would be considered for the financial aid.
Speaking to Newsline, Director of Higher Education P R Gaikwad said the drive to collect data of PG students has been carried out as per the instructions of Maharashtra Higher and Technical Education Minister Rajesh Tope.
"The directorate has provided all public universities a comprehensive state-level list of more than 9,400 severely affected villages, asking the functional heads of each varsity to collect the desired data of students from colleges coming in those areas. The drive has evoked good response, and we have located around 56,000 students. These are to be screened further for a final list to be sent to the government," he said.
MCAER vice-chairman Vijay Kolte said all four agricultural universities in Maharashtra had been informed to send us a list of students requiring help in the ongoing situation of water scarcity. "We have nearly 45,000 students studying in all four agricultural universities. We will be sending a final list to the government compiling how many of these fulfill the criteria to receive financial help," he said.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment