Ajmal Kasab's last journey
- LIVE: ISI supports LeT, JeM and Hizbul, David Headley tells court
- J&K govt formation: Ram Madhav to hold talks with Mehbooba Mufti to break impasse
- Soldier, who survived Siachen avalanche, being flown to Delhi hospital
- DDCA row: Delhi HC dismisses Kirti Azad's plea seeking court-monitored probe
- Net bad assets of govt banks a third of their net worth
Ajmal Kasab's last journey: Arthur Road Jail to Yerawada Central Prison, Nov 19-20.
THE BRIEF: To transport Ajmal Kasab from Mumbai's Arthur Road Jail to Pune's Yerawada Jail before sunrise on November 20.
THE PREPARATION: DGP Sanjeev Dayal calls in ADG Prisons Meeran Borwankar to work out a plan. A few officers are worked into the loop, fewer are told full details. Police commandos and guards from both prisons are prepared, but the identity of the prisoner is not revealed.
THE COORDINATION: The exercise is coordinated between the office of the Maharashtra DGP, Mumbai Police, Mumbai Police Crime Branch, Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad and Additional Directorate General of Police (Prisons).
GETTING SET: Six similar looking, bulletproof vehicles are commissioned. A few hours before the operation, the vehicles are ordered into position. The vehicles scatter and reach Mumbai limits at different times. Kasab is prepared for the journey after he has had his dinner on November 19.
ON THEIR WAY: The vehicles leave for Pune after midnight. A few, including the one carrying Kasab, leave from Arthur Road Jail, the others join the convoy at different points. No decoys are used. Barricades are removed at the city limits. Across Mumbai, reserve police are put on standby.
STRAIGHT RUN: The vehicles don't stop anywhere en route. They run at a uniform speed on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, keeping the distance from each other constant. It is not known how they crossed the toll nakas along the way. They reach Yerawada jail before sunrise. The baton is passed to Borwankar, and prison personnel take over.
- Government must resolve growing burden of non-performing assets
- Outrage over police assault on students is meaningless
- Right to a toilet: For the health, dignity and safety of women in slums
- Raja-Mandala: Maritime India versus Continental Delhi
- The Akhilesh-Mulayam duet
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress