Akhilesh Yadav turns to comedy, fields Raju Srivastava from Kanpur in Lok Sabha election
- Arvind Kejriwal hits back at Jung on cancelling secy appointments
- US releases documents recovered in raid that killed Osama bin Laden
- Al Qaeda describes 26/11 Mumbai attack as 'heroic Fidai', 'blessed' operation
- Key member of Modi's poll campaign team likely to work for Nitish Kumar
- Food inspectors order recall of Maggi noodles, say it contains excess lead
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav's Samajwadi Party has fielded stand-up comedian Raju Srivastava from Kanpur in the next Lok Sabha election.
The party announced his candidature Wednesday.
It also named sitting MPs Bal Kumar Patel for Mirzapur and Radhey Mohan Singh for Ghazipur. The SP has so far declared candidates for 65 of the 80 Lok Sabha seats in UP.
Raju Srivastava, who hails from Kidwai Nagar in Kanpur, had campaigned for Congress MLA Ajay Kanpur during the Assembly elections last year. He had also campaigned for the Congress in Bihar.
Kanpur is presently represented by Union minister Sriprakash Jaiswal who has held this seat since 1999.
Patel is the brother of slain dacoit Dadua. His son Ram Singh, an SP MLA, was recently in the news in connection with an abduction.