Akhilesh Yadav turns to comedy, fields Raju Srivastava from Kanpur in Lok Sabha election
- Cricketer Mohd Kaif, Nilekani, Ravi Kishen among 194 in Congress' first list of candidates for the Lok Sabha polls
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- Ink attack on AAP leader Yogendra Yadav at Jantar Mantar
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav's Samajwadi Party has fielded stand-up comedian Raju Srivastava from Kanpur in the next Lok Sabha election.
The party announced his candidature Wednesday.
It also named sitting MPs Bal Kumar Patel for Mirzapur and Radhey Mohan Singh for Ghazipur. The SP has so far declared candidates for 65 of the 80 Lok Sabha seats in UP.
Raju Srivastava, who hails from Kidwai Nagar in Kanpur, had campaigned for Congress MLA Ajay Kanpur during the Assembly elections last year. He had also campaigned for the Congress in Bihar.
Kanpur is presently represented by Union minister Sriprakash Jaiswal who has held this seat since 1999.
Patel is the brother of slain dacoit Dadua. His son Ram Singh, an SP MLA, was recently in the news in connection with an abduction.