Akhilesh Yadav turns to comedy, fields Raju Srivastava from Kanpur in Lok Sabha election
- Live: Hurriyat hardliner Masarat Alam's release rocks Parliament, Cong seeks PM's statement
- Dimapur lynching: On social media, first ‘rape’, then ‘Bangladesh man’
- Seconds before being stabbed, Indian techie called husband to say she was being followed
- Land acquisition debate: ‘They gave us a window, then went back to 1894’
- Beef ban may spell doom for Dharavi leather trade
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav's Samajwadi Party has fielded stand-up comedian Raju Srivastava from Kanpur in the next Lok Sabha election.
The party announced his candidature Wednesday.
It also named sitting MPs Bal Kumar Patel for Mirzapur and Radhey Mohan Singh for Ghazipur. The SP has so far declared candidates for 65 of the 80 Lok Sabha seats in UP.
Raju Srivastava, who hails from Kidwai Nagar in Kanpur, had campaigned for Congress MLA Ajay Kanpur during the Assembly elections last year. He had also campaigned for the Congress in Bihar.
Kanpur is presently represented by Union minister Sriprakash Jaiswal who has held this seat since 1999.
Patel is the brother of slain dacoit Dadua. His son Ram Singh, an SP MLA, was recently in the news in connection with an abduction.