Akhilesh's search for mandi model ends in Gujarat
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Bharatiya Janata Party releases second list of candidates for Lok Sabha elections
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
After getting two pairs of Asiatic lions from Gujarat for Mulayam's dream project (Lion Safari), Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav will now implement the state's model for development of mandis in UP.
Akhilesh, who heads the Mandi Parishad, had sent officials to Gujarat and several other states to study their development model for mandis. Officials zeroed in on Gujarat model as the most suitable for adoption what with many of its features being helpful to farmers, they said.
"We toured several states including Gujarat. The good features will be incorporated at our mandis here. We are even open to incorporating features from mandis in other countries, for which officials had travelled to Germany and France as well," R B Yadav, Additional Director, Mandi Parishad said.
Officials of Mandi Parishad said stalls in Gujarat's Mandi, which has separate stalls for fruits, flowers, vegetables and grains, are quite attractive. Another advantage is that they run round the clock. They have a soil testing lab and processing units for several items within the same campus. Besides, every gate has electronic weighing scale, and cold storage units and general stores are also present inside the complex.
Among other things, officials said, shops selling agricultural equipment are also available within the campus.
Gujarat mandis are visitor-friendly with features like farmers' retiring room and canteen facility. These will definitely be included in UP's mandis, an official said.
The implementation of Gujarat model will be done from March 2014 in 20 big mandis of the state, including Moradabad, Meerut, Saharanpur, Muzaffarnagar, Ghaziabad, Agra, Kanpur, Kannauj, Etawah, Auraiyya, Lucknow, Bareily, Hardoi, Sitapur, Lakhimpur Khiri, Faizabad, Gorakhpur, Varanasi and Shahjahanpur.
The project for the modernisation of mandis will soon be prepared and placed before Akhilesh for approval.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today