Akshan made to stretch
- India rejects US report on religious freedom, says it's based on 'limited understanding'
- Petrol prices hiked by Rs 3.96 a litre and diesel by Rs 2.37
- Jaitley replies to Rahul's jibe, says this is 'sooj-boojh ki sarkar'
- Punjab bus molestation: Driver, three others arrested, Badals face the heat
- Modi govt 'abandoning' farmers, backing 'crony capitalists': Rahul Gandhi
Bespectacled Akshan Shetty went through some anxious moments before overpowering Siddharth Parekh to enter the boys' under-17 singles semifinals of the Rotary Club of Mumbai (Dahisar) Open badminton tournament at their courts at Dahisar East on Tuesday. Shetty, known for his rather deceptive stroke-play, was forced to reign in his inherent aggression his game before he triumphed 30-27. In other under-17 ties, Jai Parale got the better of Udit Kadakiya 30-20, Siddhesh Udekar scored over Umair 30-22 and Devesh Dhamarajan disposed off Vishal Singh 30-16.
Results: Boys' U- 17 singles (Quarterfinals): Akshan Shetty bt Siddharth Parekh 30-27; Jay Parale bt Udit Kadakiya 30-20; Siddhesh Udekar bt Umair 30-22; Devesh Dharamajan bt Vishal Singh 30-16; Boys' U- 13 singles (Quarterfinals): Yash Sharma bt Pawan Kohli 21-8; Aditya Desai bt Shri Hari K 21-13; Siddhesh Udekar bt Vijiyan 21-5; V Bangera bt Yogesh Singh 21-19; Men's Singles (1st round): Gaurav Shah bt Pratamesh 21-18, 21-10; Prasant Shah bt Manish Kumar 21-7, 21-5; Amol H bt Rajendra Sapre 21-2, 21-7; Jay Parab bt Vikas Shetty 21-10, 21-11; Vishnesh Naidu bt Ramendra 21-7, 21-14; Gaurav Sawant bt Praveen Shetty 21-7, 21-5; Devesh Dharmarajan bt Ved Prakash 21-5, 21-13; Akshat Patil bt Trilok Sampat 21-4, 21-4; Kaustub bt Ganesh 21-8, 21-12; Mohit Kaniker bt Pravin Vedamuthu 21-12, 21-9.