Akshay Kumar to star in Karan Johar's film
- Parliament LIVE: Snooping on Rahul not right, says Congress; 'Asking for facts is not snooping'
- Waste paper to phone use: Govt revives checklist against leaks
- 14 booked for church vandalism in Haryana, cross replaced with Hanuman idol
- Pakistan: Protesters hit the streets after blasts near Lahore churches leave 15 dead
- No arrests in Bengal nun ‘rape’, church attack, local Christians nervous
Director-producer Karan Johar has teamed up with actor Akshay Kumar for the first time on a film to be directed by 'I Hate Luv Storys' helmer Punit Malhotra.
Akshay will play one of the leads in the two-hero movie, the shooting of which is scheduled to begin early next year. The other male lead will be announced next week.
"I can't divulge too much now. But what I can definitely say is that the movie is mainstream and has a very strong underlying social message. It is solid and hard hitting. Punit brought me this amazing script. I immediately approached Akshay and he was equally thrilled with the idea," Karan said in a statement.
Talking about Akshay, Johar said, "If Dharma Productions has to collaborate with Akshay, then it has to be the right kind of film. And, as I said earlier, this one, apart from being commercial, has a strong voice."
On the collaboration, Akshay said, "We are two very passionate producers with one great aim ¿ to entertain. Both Karan and I want to make our fathers proud."
Karan's mother Hiroo Johar and Akshay's wife Twinkle Khanna will co-produce the film.
Before the film with Akshay kick starts, Punit will direct Imran Khan and Kareena Kapoor in a love story titled 'Gori Tere Pyar Mein', which goes on floors in March.