Alert to prevent Italy envoy from leaving
- Rahul Gandhi attacks Narendra Modi; highlights Congress work in Uttarakhand
- Rohtak rally: Ambani, Modi, Rahul, media â all are corrupt, says Arvind Kejriwal
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
Ports and airports have been put on alert to prevent Italian ambassador Daniele Mancini from leaving the country. The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Thursday issued an advisory to all international exits in India to turn down the request of travel by the Italian ambassador. The move followed the Supreme Court order on Thursday restraining the ambassador from leaving the country.
The apex court has also sought an explanation from the Italian government for breaking its promise to send back two marines to face trial for killing two fishermen off the Kerala coast last year. The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) during its meeting with Home Ministry officials asked the latter to monitor the situation. As a preventive step, the officials decided to issue the advisory to all the airports and ports. However, the officials clarified that no lookout circular (LOC) has been issued against Mancini.
An LOC is a letter used by the police to catch absconding criminals and prevent them from crossing borders. The letter is given to security authorities deployed at immigration checks at international exit points.
"In the case of the Italian ambassador, the checkposts and emigration desks have been advised to politely turn back the ambassador if he tries to leave through air or sea route," said a Home Ministry official.