All eyes now on CCI
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
The most keenly watched case in the real estate industry, the DLF case, has reached another milestone. The case now back with the Competition Commission of India (CCI), is set to evolve a precedent on the nature of the contractual regime between a developer and the buyer.
It was in August last year, that the CCI had in a landmark order, levied a penalty of Rs 630 crore on the realty major for abusing its dominant position in the market to the detriment of buyers.
DLF appealed against the order with the Competition Appellate Tribunal (Compat). After a series of hearings, the tribunal on July 18, directed the CCI to complete the modification of the buyer's agreement by September.
By modification, the tribunal asked CCI to initiate the process of removing the allegedly abusive clauses in the agreement that the buyers of DLF's
'Belaire' project entered into with the company.
If the CCI is able to achieve closure of the case by the deadline, it would set a new standard in the manner in which buyer's agreements are drafted by developers, and could make the developer-buyer relationship more equitable.
"The DLF is the test case on the basis of which this new contractual regime will be evolved. All other cases will eventually find that whatever is decided here will apply to them," says Ranjeev Dubey, managing partner, NSouth Advocates.
To understand the importance of the order, a quick recap of the case is necessary, for the activities encountered here, is found across the sector.
DLF, in 2006, launched a project called 'Belaire', a premium development in Gurgaon. The developer was to have delivered possession in three years, i.e. 2009. That, however, did not happen and the project was delayed and as of today, finishing works remain and would be complete only by November, a gap of six years.
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun
- Movie review: â€˜Jai hoâ€™ | The Indian Express