All Things Food
- David Headley connects the dots: Hafiz Saeed, ISI, failed Mumbai attacks
- David Headley: Travelled to India 8 times, changed name for passport
- Rs 1.14 lakh crore of bad debts: The great government bank write-off
- Caste came up in 3 suicide probes at Hyderabad University
- Uttar Pradesh has been turned into 'Islamic state': Sena mouthpiece on Ghulam Ali concert
We headed to the cafe downstairs and began with a penne puttanesca, a classic tomato-based pasta from Naples. It boasted of excellent flavour, a brilliant menage a trois between saltiness, spice and a hint of sourness. The pasta itself was slightly underdone and chewy. We then ordered a Gorgonzola, green apple and walnut pizza without tomatoes. Blue cheese is not easy to pull off. The first slice was great. But after the third slice, it got a bit much. The pizza was lavished with Gorgonzola, which after a while is exhausting on the palate. Also, the bitterness of the walnuts acerbates the pungency of the cheese. Good on bruschetta but not the best on pizza.
In the end came sliced tenderloin, covered with crispy pancetta bacon and a creamy potato mash. It's a testament to the excellence of the steak that despite being overwhelmed by the pizza we finished every last crumb. It was grilled in a red wine reduction to a perfect medium-rare. The potato mash acted as a perfect foil to the robustness of the beef and the saltiness of the bacon. This was definitely the best course.
For dessert, we had a Diva classic: a chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice-cream, which is always a great way to finish a meal. Incidentally, fans of Ritu Dalmia and her almost adolescent child Diva must buy a copy of her second book, The Travelling Diva, that released last week. Gorgeously designed with pictures and illustrations, it recounts some of Dalmia's favourite recipes from around the world, encompassing European, Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines, and showcases the chef's love for all things food.
Meal for two: Rs 2,000, excluding alcohol, including taxes. Address: M8, M Block Market, GK II, New Delhi Contact: 011-29215673
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress
- Strategies anchored in incubators fail to foster entrepreneurship
- Existing regime of film censorship is unconstitutional
- Section 377: A right to love
- PM Oli has been lucky, but his political survival looks uncertain
- Across the aisle- MGNREGA: Making a meal of words