Allahabad: Friend throws burning cloth on girl, arrested
- Pakistan covets territory of others and uses terrorism as state policy: India
- Arunachal verdict: Law on Nabam Tuki's side but not numbers, Congress has Plan B
- With VK Singh onboard, two IAF aircraft leave to evacuate Indians from South Sudan
- Kashmir protests: Another person succumbs to injuries, death toll reaches 37
- Two women commit suicide in a day inside IIT Madras campus
A girl pursuing B Tech from Allahabad University (AU) Tuesday sustained burn injuries when her male friend allegedly threw a burning cloth on her in Colonelganj area of the city. The police said the girl is out of danger and the accused has been arrested. The incident appeared to be a case of one-sided attraction.
According to the police, the accused and the victim, both in their early 20s, knew each other from their native place, Masaudhi in Patna.
The incident occurred around 2 pm on Bank Road in Colonelganj area. The police said Riya and her friend Munna Yadav were walking when suddenly he set afire a T-shirt, apparently dipped in petrol, and threw it on her. He had reportedly been carrying the petrol dipped T-shirt in his backpack. Riya was rushed to Swaroop Rani Nehru Hospital, from where she was taken to a private hospital. Munna was caught by locals and handed over to the police.
"The girl sustained around 20 per cent injuries on her back, neck and arms. She has been taken to a private hospital for better treatment,'' said Circle Officer (Colonelganj), Ajay Kumar Singh. "The accused has been arrested and a case under Sections 307 and 326 of the IPC has been registered,''said Singh.
Police said Riya is a fifth semester student of B Tech (Electronics and Communications) at J K Institute of Applied Physics and Technology, part of the AU. Munna is currently pursuing a polytechnic course in Patna.
- In the Northeast, an uneasy new alliance
- Telescope: On Kashmir, channels pulled in one direction, RSTV restored perspective
- A wide space has opened up for radicalisation in Kashmir
- An attack on vibrant Bangladesh
- Retreat Of Global Norms
- After Burhan Wani death protests, an illusion is shattered in Kashmir