Allahabad stampede: Rajnath Singh condoles loss of lives
- LIVE: Rahul Gandhi returns to Delhi from sabbatical
- The two critical by-poll results which were overlooked
- 80 crore youth, 160 crore strong hands. What can we not achieve?
- Corporate war between media house, operator confounding net neutrality debate: TRAI chief Rahul Khullar
- Military institute student to son of ex-judge, Islamic State taps Dhaka gen-next
Condoling the loss of lives in the stampede at Allahabad, BJP President Rajnath Singh today said the incident could have been avoided if adequate precautions had been taken at the railway station teeming with thousands of Kumbh pilgrims.
Demanding an investigation into the incident, he said those responsible for it should be punished. "I believe that if precautions could have been taken at the railway station earlier, this incident could have been avoided," he said.
"Whoever is responsible for this must be punished. I offer my condolences to all the grieving families," he said. A stampede broke out at the Allahabad Railway Station yesterday, leaving 36 people dead.
The stampede occurred at Platforms No 5 and 6 where thousands of passengers, mostly Maha Kumbh devotees returning after taking the holy dip at the Sangam, had gathered to board a train.