Allahabad univ shut amid violence apprehensions
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
Allahabad University was on Monday closed down for three days amid apprehensions of violence after an FIR was lodged against four student union leaders for allegedly assaulting the staff of the vice-chancellor's office.
The FIR was lodged Sunday at Colonelganj police station against University Students Union president Dinesh Singh Yadav, its vice-president and two others who had barged into the V-C office to complain against "irregularities" in admissions of research scholars and assaulted some staff members, varsity sources said.
The students on Saturday assaulted the staff members, who prevented them from entering the V-C's chamber, besides vandalising furniture, they said.
Later, at a meeting of senior University officials, it was decided that the union Vice-President Shalu Yadav should be suspended and the remaining three expelled, they said.
Proctor Mata Amber Tiwari suspended Shalu with immediate effect while a file recommending that the remaining three be expelled has been sent to the V-C for assent, they said.
Meanwhile, additional forces are being deployed around the varsity campus following a request from the authorities, police said.