Allahabad univ shut amid violence apprehensions
- Ditched by Anna, Mamata rallies â around herself
- AAPâs existence a miracle of Bhagwan, Allah: Kejriwal at Mumbai road show
- CBI chief for closing Lalu cases, director of prosecution doesnât agree
- Maoist attack: gaps between official version, facts on ground
- Trouble for Khobragade as govt finds daughters have US, Indian passports
Allahabad University was on Monday closed down for three days amid apprehensions of violence after an FIR was lodged against four student union leaders for allegedly assaulting the staff of the vice-chancellor's office.
The FIR was lodged Sunday at Colonelganj police station against University Students Union president Dinesh Singh Yadav, its vice-president and two others who had barged into the V-C office to complain against "irregularities" in admissions of research scholars and assaulted some staff members, varsity sources said.
The students on Saturday assaulted the staff members, who prevented them from entering the V-C's chamber, besides vandalising furniture, they said.
Later, at a meeting of senior University officials, it was decided that the union Vice-President Shalu Yadav should be suspended and the remaining three expelled, they said.
Proctor Mata Amber Tiwari suspended Shalu with immediate effect while a file recommending that the remaining three be expelled has been sent to the V-C for assent, they said.
Meanwhile, additional forces are being deployed around the varsity campus following a request from the authorities, police said.