Allahabad University closed for 3 days amid apprehensions of violence
- Vote Supriya or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- IPL 7: Yuvraj Singh roars back to form
Allahabad University was today closed down for three days amid apprehensions of violence after an FIR was lodged against student union leaders for allegedly assaulting staff of Vice-Chancellor's office.
The FIR was lodged yesterday at Colonelganj police station against University Students Union president Dinesh Singh Yadav, its vice-president and two others who had barged into the V-C office to complain against "irregularities" in admissions of research scholars and assaulted some staff members, varsity sources said.
The students on Saturday assaulted the staff members, who prevented them from entering the V-C's chamber, besides vandalising furnitures, they said.
Later in a meeting of senior University officials it was decided that the union Vice-President Shalu Yadav should be suspended and the remaining three be expelled, they said.
Proctor Mata Amber Tiwari suspended Shalu with immediate effect while a file recommending the expulsion of the remaining three has been sent to the V-C for assent, they said.
Meanwhile, additional forces are being deployed around the sprawling University campus following a request from the varsity authorities, police said.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer