Allahabad University closed for 3 days amid apprehensions of violence
- Pakistan High Commission staffer asked to leave India after leak of sensitive defence documents
- Cyrus Mistry hits back at Tata Group with slew of allegations: Fraudulent transactions, unethical ways
- Tata Sons vs Cyrus: Sebi, govt keep watch, BSE seeks clarification
- Kashmir is a matter for India, Pakistan to sort out: British PM Theresa May
- It's unfortunate, because it has set a terrible precedent: Farhan Akhtar on Johar-MNS deal
Allahabad University was today closed down for three days amid apprehensions of violence after an FIR was lodged against student union leaders for allegedly assaulting staff of Vice-Chancellor's office.
The FIR was lodged yesterday at Colonelganj police station against University Students Union president Dinesh Singh Yadav, its vice-president and two others who had barged into the V-C office to complain against "irregularities" in admissions of research scholars and assaulted some staff members, varsity sources said.
The students on Saturday assaulted the staff members, who prevented them from entering the V-C's chamber, besides vandalising furnitures, they said.
Later in a meeting of senior University officials it was decided that the union Vice-President Shalu Yadav should be suspended and the remaining three be expelled, they said.
Proctor Mata Amber Tiwari suspended Shalu with immediate effect while a file recommending the expulsion of the remaining three has been sent to the V-C for assent, they said.
Meanwhile, additional forces are being deployed around the sprawling University campus following a request from the varsity authorities, police said.
- By brokering for MNS, Devendra Fadnavis has shown himself as a CM afraid of a bully
- Pak PM would do well to study the past before choosing Raheel Sharif’s successor
- What general news channels could learn from business news anchors
- India’s abstention from UN negotiations for nuclear disarmament would be a lost chance
- India must delink classroom teaching from student learning
- In the long run, the rift within SP may make space for a clearer leadership