Alleged Hizbul operative Naiku sent to police custody
- Kumar Vishwas claims threat to life, to file FIR against Rahul and Priyanka
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 2 States movie review: Alia Bhatt is a surprise
A metropolitan magistrate remanded Wednesday Farooq Naiku, an alleged Hizbul Mujahideen operative, in police custody till January 28.
Naiku was arrested in Pydhonie on January 16 in a fake currency case.
Crime Branch claimed interrogation revealed Naiku was an "active member" of Hizbul and also applied sections of Unlawful Activities Prevention Act against Naiku.
Sources said six email accounts operated by Naiku had been identified and their contents were being analysed.
Multiple bank accounts held by Naiku in Navi Mumbai have been frozen and Crime Branch is probing the flow of money into these.
A Crime Branch team may soon visit Baramulla, from where Naiku hails.
Arguing for his police custody, assistant public prosecutor Kiran Bhendbhar said police needed to interrogate Naiku on other Hizbul members.
Bhendbhar said they wanted check if there was a link between the counterfeit currency racket and Hizbul.
Mohammed Talukdar, manager of Relax Guest House in Pydhonie, has been also remanded in police custody till January 28.
Crime Branch claimed Naiku attempted to infiltrate the army on several occasions and photographed dams, bridges and other national assets for his handlers in Pakistan.
These include Uri dam and Baramulla bridge in Jammu and Kashmir.
He is also alleged to have taken photographs of strategic troop formations, deployments and movements of Indian Army along LoC.
Crime Branch claimed Naiku also took photographs of graves of slain militants to spread disaffection in Kashmir and across the border.
Police recovered CDs, CPUs and computer hard disks during a search at the residence of Naiku in Kopar Khairane, Navi Mumbai.
They alleged he was also involved in narcotics trade and hawala transactions.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer