AMC to resume yellow fever vaccination from today
- LIVE: Yogendra Yadav, Prashant Bhushan expelled from AAP National Executive committee
- President Pranab Mukherjee goes to Vajpayee's home with Bharat Ratna
- Land bill will ‘break nation’s backbone’, Sonia tells Gadkari
- After 2010 scare, DGCA got cockpit policy to avert Germanwings-type incident
- Leave IITs alone, can’t talk to 36 applicants in a day and choose (directors): Kakodkar
After a long wait, the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) has decided to resume yellow fever vaccination at its Danapith headquarters from Monday. The vaccine will be administered from May 20 to May 25. The vaccine is mandatory for people travelling to African and South African countries. But it has not been available with the Kasuali-based Central Research Institute in Himachal Pradesh, the only government-run production unit for the vaccine. Dr Suhas Kulkarni, AMC medical officer (health), said the vaccination was suspended for the past four months. "Every month, around 800 persons visit the AMC for the vaccine," he said. He said that while earlier the vaccine would cost Rs 500, it would now cost Rs 1,200 as it is being procured from a private sector firm which imports if trom abroad. Kulkarni said travellers would have to bring the vaccine from Mumbai and only government hospitals could administer them. Also, it would not be available over the counter now, he added.