AMC to resume yellow fever vaccination from today
- Navy Chief DK Joshi takes responsibility for spate of accidents, resigns
- TRS gives jitters to Congress post Telangana creation, says merger unlikely
- SC orders arrest of Sahara chief Subrata Roy, says âarms of court very longâ
- KLF terrorist Bhullar will not be executed in present health condition, Centre tells SC
- Paswan, who left NDA over Modi, signals tie-up with BJP for ânew optionâ
After a long wait, the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) has decided to resume yellow fever vaccination at its Danapith headquarters from Monday. The vaccine will be administered from May 20 to May 25. The vaccine is mandatory for people travelling to African and South African countries. But it has not been available with the Kasuali-based Central Research Institute in Himachal Pradesh, the only government-run production unit for the vaccine. Dr Suhas Kulkarni, AMC medical officer (health), said the vaccination was suspended for the past four months. "Every month, around 800 persons visit the AMC for the vaccine," he said. He said that while earlier the vaccine would cost Rs 500, it would now cost Rs 1,200 as it is being procured from a private sector firm which imports if trom abroad. Kulkarni said travellers would have to bring the vaccine from Mumbai and only government hospitals could administer them. Also, it would not be available over the counter now, he added.