Ami Bera sworn in as US lawmaker
- Arvind Kejriwal to launch AAP's Lok Sabha poll campaign from Haryana today
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
Ami Bera, a California-based Indian-American physician, was today sworn in as member of the US House of Representatives, becoming only the third from the community to enter the Congress.
Bera is the third Indian American -- after Dalip Singh Saundh in 1950 and Bobby Jindal in 2005 -- to have ever been elected to the House of Representatives. He was sworn in as a Member of United States House of Representatives by House Speaker John Boehner.
Noting that being sworn in as a member of the US House of Representatives is a "culmination of American dream" for his father who migrated from Gujarat in 1950, Bera said that besides working on his priority areas of health care and education, he wants to help strengthen the economic relations between India and the US.
"My father migrated in 1950s from Gujarat and this is a culmination of American dream for him. He worked hard to see his son to be sworn in today in the House of Representatives. It's really the culmination of everything," Bera told PTI in his first media interview at his new Congressional office at the Capitol Hill.
Democratic lawmaker from California's 3rd congressional district, Bera has been made a member of the powerful House Foreign Committee, where he is likely to play an important role in shaping the foreign policy of his country and work towards achieving his goal of strengthening economic agricultural in particular relationship between India and the US.
The only Indian-American currently serving in House of Representatives, Bera said health care would be on the top of his priorities.
"Obviously health care has to be about patients," he said.
Bera is the part of America's 113th Congress which also has 43 African American members.
Noting that he benefited from a strong educational system, Bera said he wants to make sure that the kids get the best education.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Government blames BJP for delay in passage of Telangana bill in Rajya Sabha, may extend Parliament session
- Dhoni, do you believe you can win abroad? | The Indian Express
- ‘Troop movement should’ve been avoided if they knew (V K Singh’s) court date’