Amit Shah, 7 others appear in Mumbai court
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal attacks 'helicopter politics' of Modi and Gandhis; Priyanka says others misguiding voters
- SC sets up panel to frame guidelines for government ads ahead of polls
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
Eight of the accused out on bail in the 2005 Sohrabbudin Shaikh encounter case, including former Gujarat home minister Amit Shah, were on Friday present in the Killa Metropolitan Magistrate Court on Friday, responding to summons issued to them.
There had been summed to complete initial technical formalities before the committal of the case to a special CBI court in Mumbai as directed by the Apex Court after transferring the case from Gujarat to Mumbai in September. Magistrate A A Khan adjourned the case to November 23 as the accused who are now in jail could not be produced in court.
Advocate Pranav Badeka representing Shah told the court that the formalities would be completed when all the accused are produced in court.
Eleven others accused including suspended IPS officer DG Vanzara and suspended police officer Abhay Chudasama, in various jails in Gujarat, could not be produced in court on Friday. Most of them are in the Sabarmati Central Jail. Chudasama had been transferred to a Nadiad Jail earlier. On Thursday, Sabarmati Jail authorities had said the summons reached them late and they had not enough time to make arrangements for transfer of the accused to Mumbai in time.
As per procedure, the bail of any accused stands cancelled as soon as a case is committed and a fresh bail plea has to be made. In most cases the bail is granted soon after the application is moved.
Sohrabbudin and his wife were allegedly abducted by the Gujarat Anti-Terrorism Squad from Hyderabad and killed in a fake encounter near Gandhinagar in November 2005.
Shah, who had to quit the Narendra Modi government soon after abduction and murder cases were slapped on him was arrested by the CBI on July 25, 2010. He had to spend over three months in Sabarmati Jail before getting bail.
- Missing plane MH370: Australia plans to use system that found Titanic
- Nandurbar helps me win in Gujarat, it will now help me win India: Narendra Modi
- Run Away Style
- Stakes high for AIADMK, DMK as TN goes to polls
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase
- Whistleblower alleged kickbacks, favours in ‘thin client’ procurement; NDA never completed inquiry