Amit Shah: Our CM is PM material
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- Subrata Roy to remain in Tihar, Supreme Court calls Sahara's proposal "dishonourable"
- Arvind Kejriwal stopped on way to meet Narendra Modi
- Modi's next round of Chai pe charcha doesn't have police permission yet
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
State's former minister of state (home) Amit Shah Saturday backed Narendra Modi as the future prime minister saying the chief minister has "all the qualities" required for the top post.
Earlier, Sushma Swaraj and Gopinath Munde, during their visit to Gujarat, had said Modi was fit and competent to become the prime minister.
"Whether he should be made PM or not, only the party will only decide. But I can say Modi has all the qualities in him to become a prime ministerial candidate," Shah, considered close to Modi, said.
Shah, who is out in bail, is contesting elections from Naranpura constituency of the city. "We have able and successful leadership in the form of Modi," he said.
Shah is an accused in Sohrabuddin Sheikh and Tulsi Prajapati fake encounter cases. He returned to Gujarat after a gap of two years following the Supreme Court judgment allowing him to enter the state, rejecting the CBI plea to cancel the bail granted to him in the 2005 Sohrabuddin encounter case.
Taking a dig at Congress, Shah said the party had no leader to project in Gujarat. "Supposing Congress bags majority, who would be their leader... It is a very big issue," he said.