Amit Shah tops list of ‘criminal’ candidates
- Rahul Gandhi attacks Narendra Modi; highlights Congress work in Uttarakhand
- Rohtak rally: Ambani, Modi, Rahul, media â all are corrupt, says Arvind Kejriwal
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
Former home minister of Gujarat Amit Shah is among the top three candidates from the major political outfits featuring in the second phase of the Assembly elections who have "serious criminal cases of murder, kidnapping and theft" registered against them.
Shah, who is fighting on a BJP ticket from Naranpura constituency of Ahmedabad district, has declared two charges of murder and two charges of kidnapping registered against him. He is also facing charges of extortion and wrongful confinement, states a report released on Saturday by a non-political group - Association of Democratic Reforms (ADR).
The other two candidates in the list are Takhatsinh Solanki of Congress) who is contesting from Shehra Assembly constituency and Vikramsinh Rathod of BSP who is contesting from Kalol Assembly constituency. Takhatsinh is facing two charges of robbery, while Rathod is facing a charge of attempted murder.
Interestingly, two candidates from Shehra - Jetha Ahir (Jetha Bharvad) of BJP and Prafulchandra Vankar of BSP - have charges of rape registered against them.
Out of the 402 candidates analysed for the second phase of elections, 78 candidates or 19% of them have declared criminal cases against them. Among the major parties contesting the Assembly elections in the second phase in the state, Congress gave tickets to 28 candidates with declared criminal cases, BJP gave tickets to 26 and Gujarat Parivartan Party gave tickets to 13 candidates.
Natvarlal Patel from Mehsana has cases registered against him under the 'Prevention of Corruption Act'
BJP candidate from Balasinor, Rajesh Pathak is facing charge related to injuring or defiling place of worship with intent to insult the religion of any class
Jayanteelal Bhanushalee, BJP candidate from Abdasa faces a charge related to wearing garb or carrying token used by public servant with fraudulent intent
Congress candidate from Vaghodia, Dr Jayesh Patel is facing a charge related to word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde