Amitabh Bachchan appeals for dry Holi
- India will set climate change conference agenda: Narendra Modi
- From Kerala family to ex-gangster, Islamic State pulls Maldives men
- Collegium system end: NJAC is in, judges lose say in hiring
- BJP-RSS set to demolish secular democratic foundations: CPI(M)
- Ahmedabad: Saffron uniform for Hindu kids, green for Muslim
Amitabh Bachchan, the star of many hit holi numbers like Rang barse and Holi ke din sab mil jaate hai, wants his fans to save water this festival of colours as Maharastra faces water shortage.
Big B took to his Twitter to request his millions of followers to play dry Holi as the state is experiencing one of its worst droughts in the last 40 years.
"Water shortage in Maharashtra... and its only March. What will happen in Summer? Save water! Play a dry Holi," Bachchan tweeted.
Similar sentiments were echoed by actors like Hrithik Roshan and Riteish Deshmukh.
Hrithik has decided to refrain from joining the Holi revelry this year.
"Hrithik won't be celebrating Holi as a mark of solidarity with those who are suffering from the acute water shortage in Maharashtra. Instead, he will only use only a small amount of gulaal to apply a shagun tika as part of the traditional ritual," a source close to the actor said.
Actors Riteish Deshmukh and Ranvir Shorey also tweeted, expressing their concern over the issue.
"The drought situation in Maharashtra is extremely serious this year. Need of the hour is to save water. This holi say NO 2 water. #DryHoli," Riteish said.
"Be scared. Be very scared," tweeted Ranvir Shorey,