Amitabh Bachchan receives Hridaynath Mangeshkar award
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
Megastar Amitabh Bachchan received the third Hridaynath Mangeshkar award for his contribution to the film industry.
The prestigious Hridaynath Mangeshkar award was supposed to be presented by melody queen Lata Mangeshkar to Bachchan, but due to health issues she could not make it and filmmaker Subhash Ghai did the honours.
"I got everything in life from Mumbai, my success, my stardom, my wife, my children and now even grandchildren. I am truly proud to be a Mumbaikar as the city has given me the most," Bachchan said after receiving the award.
He was full of praises for Lata Mangeshkar at the ceremony and even promised to speak in her mother tongue (Marathi) the next time around.
"Lataji has been exceptionally kind to us even in past when she sang for Jaya. Sadly she couldn't make it to today's function due to her illness, yet she apologised which is too humble on her part and status. I am truly honoured by this award," he said.
The award function was followed by 'Hridayotsava 71' music concert, which was a musical tribute to Bachchan and Mangeshkar, with some of the best yesteryears hit numbers sung by Shaan, Sunidhi Chauhan, Sudesh Bhosale, Mahalaxmi, Sadhana Sargam and many others.
The Mangeshkar family has been observing Pt Hridaynath's birthday for last 24 years and the first award was bagged by Lata Mangeshkar in 2011. Her younger Asha Bhosle was honoured with the same award last year.
- Lack of legal power hampers probe into missing Malaysian Airlines jet
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express