AMU students' union to confer life membership to Sonia Gandhi
- In Arunachal, Narendra Modi warns China against âexpansionistâ plans
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- On false cases, donât discriminate between Muslims and others: Purohit writes to Shinde
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Pakistani prisoner found hanging in Jammu jail
The Aligarh Muslim University Students' Union will confer its honorary life membership on Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
Making the announcement today, president of the AMUSU Shahzad Alam said they would extend a ceremonial welcome to the Congress president during her visit to the university on February 16 to deliver the convocation address at the 60th Annual Convocation of the institution.
"We hope that Sonia will express her views on vital issues related to the aspirations of the Indian Muslim community, especially the youth," Alam said.
AMUSU has written a letter to her highlighting the various issues being faced by the Muslim community, he said.
The first person to be honoured by the AMUSU with its life membership was Mahatma Gandhi. He was conferred the membership in 1920 at the beginning of the Khilafat Movement, a spokesman of the university said.
The students of the institution had then responded to Gandhi's call for "non-cooperation" by going on an indefinite strike, he said.
Meanwhile, spokesman of the Kashmiri students at AMU Imtiyaz Rasool last night said they would not organise any protest during the Congress president's visit.
"We had participated in a protest march on the campus yesterday to highlight our demands for following certain humanitarian procedures related to Afzal Guru's hanging.
"We feel that his family should be allowed to follow all the necessary rituals which are normally permitted in such cases," he said.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Singhal: Hindus should have at least 5 children
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- On false cases, don’t discriminate between Muslims and others: Purohit writes to Shinde
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers | The Indian Express