Amul finds caustic soda, urea in milk
- L-G Jung functioning as if there is President's Rule in Delhi: Sisodia
- Suicide car bomb kills at least 6, injures 9 in Kabul
- VIDEO: Teased by bodyguard, Agra woman smashes SP leader's Mercedes
- Amid Delhi Chief Secy row, at least dozen govt officers ready to leave city
- Modi govt calls for 'fitting' commemoration of Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary
Anand-based Kaira District Cooperative Milk Producers Union Limited, popularly known as Amul Dairy, Saturday served notice to Bhalej village milk co-operative after finding as many as 18 samples of its milk adulterated with caustic soda and urea.
This is the first such detection at Amul, sources said, while refusing to elaborate if the adulterated milk had already been distributed.
Sources said the adulteration came to light when the samples were tested in laboratory after being found to be containing high level of fat. Individual milk societies determine the level of fat in the milk on a daily basis before sending them to the dairy co-operative.
"Generally, urea and caustic soda raise the level of fat in milk. The Amul Dairy has taken the lapse seriously and has served notice to the society," a source said.
Around 1,500 farmers sell milk to the local cooperative, which is then sent to the Amul Dairy for packaging and marketing.
"It is possible that the village cooperative supplied milk adulterated with urea and other material earlier too without being detected. The dairy is probing the matter and will not be in a position to say anything before Monday," the source said.
Meanwhile, the affected farmers said they would cooperate with the dairy in finding out the persons who were indulging in adulteration.