An Unusual Love Triangle
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over hate speech
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- Elections 2014 LIVE: FIR against Azam Khan; Rahul to file nomination papers today
Monday to Thursday, 8pm
What's it about?
On a foggy night in the midst of a deserted hilly terrain, a jeep comes to a screeching halt. A young boy in his 20s emerges from the vehicle. While he is busy repairing the jeep, he hears the sound of a woman sobbing. He looks around but finds no one. This is the introductory scene of Anaamika, a show based on witchcraft and superstitious beliefs. India has always been a land of myths and folklore. Most Indians believe in superstitions, especially buri nazar, and this is what the show focuses on. The show narrates the story of two childhood friend, Jeet and Rano, who are on the verge of getting married. Just when things are going fine for the couple, Anaamika enters Jeet's life and threatens to shake the foundation of their love.
Who's in it?
The role of Anaamika is played by Simran Kaur, who is yet to be introduced on the show. Mudit Nayar and Annie Gill essay the roles of Jeet Saluja and Rano Walia respectively. Jeet is an easygoing young man whose only dream in life is to be a professional boxer. Rano, on the other hand, is more level-headed and understands the struggles of life since she was brought up by her mother, a single parent. Sonika Gill and Deepak Dutta play Jeet's parents and Namrata Dhaneja essays the role of Rano's mother. Hemant Chadha and Sonia Kaur play the roles of Jeet's older brother and sister-in-law respectively. The most interesting member of the Saluja household is Madhumati, who plays the role of Bebe (Jeet's grandmother). She is shown as a tech-savvy woman who is always tinkering with gadgets.
The concept is a clear winner here. Indian television has had shows dwelling on superstitious beliefs and black magic, but they have often been categorised in the horror genre. In this case, however, a daily soap on primetime television deals with the supernatural genre and Anaamika, one of the main characters in the love triangle, is a supernatural being. The opening episode creates intrigue about the story and the characters. Since Anaamika has not yet been introduced to the audience (except for a glimpse) and her backstory has still been kept under wraps, we see the writers building the plot to create suspense. The production quality of the show is also quite good, with the sets looking real and not mere studio set-ups.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit